SEYMOUR AREA WRESTLING CLUB
The Seymour Area Wrestling (SAW) Club was formed by parents of wrestlers and wrestling enthusiasts. The purpose of the club is to support wrestling at all age levels in the Seymour Community School District. SAW’s accomplishments include:
· We have provided college scholarships for deserving High School Seniors each year of $500.
· We have provided the Middle School wrestling program with team sweatshirts and duffle bags.
· We purchased singlets for the youth program.
· Our club was the driving force to construct the marquee out in front of the High School.
· We have created a website to update parents, wrestlers and fans of all local wrestling activities.
· Funded overnight trips for the Varsity wrestlers.
· Given money to offset the cost of camps and brought in skilled clinicians.
· Funded the recognition boards in the wrestling room.
SAW holds monthly meetings, typically scheduled on the 3rd Monday of the month at Wally’s Seymour Bowl at 7:00 p.m. The meetings usually last about an hour, during which, members review old and new business, organize special events, and coordinate club activities. Each year in December nominations for officers are taken and in January, new officers are elected. Offices held are president (conducts the meetings and oversees tasks of other officers are followed), vice-president (steps in for the absence of the president and assists as needed), treasurer (keeps accounting records) and secretary (takes meeting minutes and records them). There are also 3 additional “members at large” that have voting privileges.
The biggest fund-raiser that the club uses to support the financial goals, are hosting an annual Youth Wrestling Tournament. We don’t ask for financial assistance from the parents but we do ask you to volunteer your time to make the tournament run smoothly.
As each group of wrestlers grow up and graduate from High School, new wrestlers move up and fill their shoes. Likewise, we ask that parents and family also get involved and step into new roles for the club in order to best accommodate the ever-changing needs of the school, the athletes, and the sport of wrestling. SAW’s future success depends on it.